All WordPress websites have the same default login URL, so anyone who’s aware of this can make login attempts to any WordPress site using the default URL. Fortunately, you can easily change the default WordPress login URL.
Important note: before proceeding with changing your WordPress login URL, we highly recommend backing up your WordPress site.
How to Change Your WordPress Login URL Using WPS Hide Login
WPS Hide Login is a WordPress plugin that lets you change your login URL without making manual changes to your site’s vital files. It’s quicker and safer to change your WordPress login URL using a plugin, as you don’t risk making unintended changes that could ruin your site. Go through these steps to use the plugin:
- Log in to WordPress.
- Hover over the “Plugins” button, then click “Add New.”
- On the Add Plugins page, search for “WPS Hide Login,” then click “Install Now.”
- Click “Activate.”
- Hover over the “Settings” button, then click “General.”
- In the General Settings screen, scroll down to find the “WPS Hide Login” section.
- Type a new Login URL.
- Click “Save Changes” at the bottom of the General Settings page.
- Bookmark the new login URL.
Tip: get an SSL certificate for your WordPress site for extra security.
Frequently Asked Questions
What will happen if someone tries to access my default login URL?
They’ll be redirected to the Redirection URL you set, which is a page on your website that says the content they’re looking for doesn’t exist or can’t be found on your website.
What else can I do to improve the login security for my WordPress site?
Image credit: Pixabay. All screenshots by Natalie dela Vega.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox