Even with its privacy issue, WhatsApp remains a popular messaging app with plenty of users. We send photos, videos, and documents on the platform nearly every day. However, unbeknownst to many, WhatsApp limits the video upload to 16MB and will automatically reduce the video’s quality after it’s uploaded. We have some tricks to help you with that. Using the methods below, you can share high-quality videos without compression on WhatsApp.
Tip: if you have issues seeing images or videos, learn how to fix WhatsApp photos and videos not downloading.
1. How to Send HD Videos in WhatsApp
In the past few years, WhatsApp has made significant changes in terms of allowing users to send high-quality videos and photos. WhatsApp now offers a built-in feature to change the quality of media (i.e., videos or photos) you want to send.
Note: this feature is currently available to beta users only.
- Launch WhatsApp on your phone, and open the contact.
- Tap the “Paperclip” icon on Android, and select “Gallery.” On iPhone, tap the (+) icon, and select “Photo & Video Library.”
- Select the video that you want to send.
- On the preview screen, tap on the “HD” icon at the top. If you don’t see it, you don’t have the feature yet. Select “HD quality,” and press the “Done” button.
- Tap on the “Send” icon.
Also helpful: learn how to add and manage WhatsApp stickers.
2. Send the Video as a File/Document
You can use this little trick to send high-quality videos on WhatsApp. In this method, you need to send the video as a document. The steps are different for Android and iPhone.
Send High-Quality Videos as Documents on Android
- Open WhatsApp on your Android phone, and select the contact you want to send the video to.
- Tap on the paper clip icon in the typing area of WhatsApp.
- Select the first option, “Document.”
- Tapping on the Document option will open the default WhatsApp File Manager. To search for a video file, select the “Browse other docs” option. Select the video file you wish to share.
- When you see details, like its name and size, hit the “Send” button. The selected video will be shared in high quality.
Tip: learn how to download your WhatsApp status on Android.
Send High-Quality Videos as WhatsApp Documents on iPhone
On iPhone, things are a bit different. You need to first save the video from the Photos app to the Files app so that WhatsApp considers it as a document.
Follow these steps to send high-quality videos on WhatsApp on iPhone:
- Open the video in the Apple Photos app that you want to share on WhatsApp.
- Tap the “Share” icon at the bottom, and select “Save to Files” from the Share Sheet.
- Select the folder where you want to save the video. Remember the name of the folder, as you will need it later. Tap on the “Save” button.
- Launch WhatsApp and open the chat where you want to send the video.
- Tap on the “(+)” icon followed by “Document.”
- Select the video that you saved earlier. You can use the Browse tab to locate the video if you don’t see it in the Recents tab. Tap on “Open.”
- Tap on the “Send” icon in the video preview screen.
Good to know: use these methods to send a WhatsApp message without saving the number.
3. Use Any Cloud Storage App
If you are on a limited data plan and don’t want to waste it uploading high-quality video to WhatsApp, first store your video file in a cloud storage application, then share the link to the file on WhatsApp.
In our case, we are using Google Drive:
- Select the video from the Gallery (Android) or Photos (iPhone) app. Tap on the “Share” button, and upload it to Google Drive.
- Once the video is uploaded to Google Drive, open the Google Drive app.
- Locate that video and tap on the three-dot menu beside the video.
- From the list of options, tap on the “Copy link” option.
- Open the WhatsApp app, and select the contact you wish to share the video with.
- Paste the copied Google Drive video link onto the chat bar, and hit the “Send” button. That’s it! You have just shared a high-quality video with your contact.
The recipient can tap the shared link, and download or view it on a compatible browser in full resolution.
Also helpful: these WhatsApp web tips and features will help you use WhatsApp on your desktop.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I send high-quality photos on WhatsApp?
Yes, use the same methods mentioned above to send high-quality photos. There’s another way to send videos of the best quality on WhatsApp. Go to “WhatsApp Settings -> Storage and data -> Photo upload quality,” and select “Best quality.”
How can I stop WhatsApp videos from downloading automatically on my phone?
You can stop videos and other media files from downloading automatically by changing the auto-download settings in WhatsApp. Go to “WhatsApp Settings -> Storage and Data.” Turn off video auto-download for Wi-Fi and mobile data. Also, learn how to stop WhatsApp photos from showing up in the gallery.
What video size can you send in WhatsApp?
You can send videos of up to 2GB in WhatsApp as documents.
Image credit: Mehvish Mushtaq
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox