To type numbers using the default keyboards on mobile devices, we usually have to hit ?123 (Android) or 123 (iPhone) to switch the layout. That’s a bit tedious, especially if you have to type numbers frequently. However, you can solve the problem by adding a number row at the top of popular Android and iPhone keyboards, like Gboard, Samsung Keyboard, SwiftKey, Chrooma, and Fleksy.
Good to know: get up to speed on how to view recently deleted apps on Android or iOS.
5 Keyboards for Android: How to Add Number Row
The following Android keyboards allow you to have a number row at the top. Follow these steps to enable the number row:
The Gboard keyboard app comes preinstalled on most Android phones. Follow these steps to add a dedicated number row at the top of Gboard.
- Launch Gboard in any app.
- Tap on the “Settings” icon in the toolbar, or hit the three-dot icon, and tap on the “Settings” icon to open the Gboard settings.
- Go to “Preferences,” and enable the toggle next to “Number row.”
- On Android, it’s also possible to open any keyboard app’s settings from the phone’s settings via “Settings → System → Languages & input → On-screen keyboard (or “Virtual Keyboard” on some phone models) → Name of keyboard.”
Tip: check out our detailed guide on how to use Gboard like a pro.
2. Samsung Keyboard
If you own a Samsung Galaxy phone, the Samsung Keyboard also lets you add a number row at the top.
- Open Samsung Keyboard in any app.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the keyboard’s toolbar, and select “Settings.”
- Go to “Layout.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Number keys.”
- The number row should be visible.
On a side note, did you know that you can also change the color of a Samsung keyboard?
3. Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard
SwiftKey from Microsoft is another popular keyboard that lets you display the number row at the top. Follow these steps to add the number row to the SwiftKey keyboard on Android:
- Launch the SwiftKey keyboard, and tap on the three-dot icon in the toolbar.
- Press the “Settings” icon in the icon panel that appears.
- Go to “Layout & keys.”
- Enable the toggle for “Number row.”
Tip: wondering which is the best virtual keyboard? Check out our comparison between Gboard, Samsung, and SwiftKey.
4. Chrooma Keyboard
You can also use the Chrooma Keyboard app to add a number row at the top on an Android phone:
- Open the Chrooma Keyboard app.
- Tap on the “+” icon in the keyboard’s toolbar, and press the “Settings” icon in the icon toolbar that appears.
- Tap on the second “Settings” button in the icon grid to view the keyboard settings.
- Make sure you are in the “Skins” tab. Scroll down and tap on “Layout basic.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Action Row,” and tap on “Configure Action Row.”
- Enable the toggle next to “Number row” on the next screen. Keep it at the top by holding the two-bar icon next to “Number row” and dragging it to the top. Enable or disable other rows as needed.
- Open the Chrooma keyboard in an app, and swipe right or left on the dedicated number row to see other action rows.
5. Fleksy Keyboard
The Fleksy app will also show a number row at the top of the keyboard on Android phones.
- Open the Fleksy app on your Android phone. Please note that you need to open the actual app and not the keyboard while in another app.
- Tap on “Extensions” at the top.
- Press the “Number Row” option and tap on the “Add” button. The number row will be added to the keyboard. Swipe on the top row of the keyboard to see the number row.
Tip: learn how to make the keyboard bigger on Android phones.
3 Keyboards for iPhone: How to Add Number Row
Unlike Android, iPhone’s native keyboard doesn’t support a number row, so you have to rely on the following iPhone keyboards.
1. Microsoft SwiftKey Keyboard
SwiftKey keyboard is one of the best free apps to show a number row at the top on an iPhone.
- Open the SwiftKey app on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Settings” and enable the toggle next to “Number Row.”
Tip: learn how to make the keyboard bigger on iPhone.
On iPhones, Gboard doesn’t offer a standalone number row. However, the number row is baked into the top row of the alphabet keys. You just need to long-press the relevant key in the top row to enter a number.
While the number row is active by default, if you can’t see numbers in the top row for some reason, follow these steps to make them visible again:
- Launch the Gboard app on your iPhone.
- Go to “Keyboard settings,” and make sure the toggle next to “Show number row” is enabled.
3. Fleksy Keyboard
Another free keyboard to add a number row on iPhone is Fleksy.
- Open the Fleksy app on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “Extensions” tab at the top.
- Tap on “Number Row,” and hit the “Add” button in the pop-up that appears. The dedicated number row should now be active.
Tip: learn how to use your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I change the default keyboard on Android?
Go to “Settings → General Management → Keyboard list and default → Default keyboard” on Samsung Galaxy phones, and select the new default keyboard.
Tap on the keyboard icon in the navigation bar on other Android phones, and choose a new default keyboard.
How can I change the default iPhone keyboard on iOS?
If you want to replace Apple’s keyboard with a third-party keyboard app, first, go to “Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Keyboards.” Tap on the “Edit” button at the top. Using the three-bar icon, drag the keyboard you want as the default to the top of the list. Use this method to replace the active default option at any time.
How can I switch between keyboards while typing on Android and iOS?
On Android, tap on the keyboard icon in the navigation bar, and select the input method. On an iPhone, touch and hold the Globe icon, and choose a new keyboard from the list.
Can I change the keyboard style on my phone?
Yes, you can change the color of your keyboard on Android phones. Most stock and third-party keyboard apps let you change the theme. For instance, in Gboard, go to “Settings -> Themes,” and select the desired color. However, you cannot change the color of the Apple Keyboard except by making it light or dark using the dark mode settings.
Can I use my phone as a number pad for my computer?
While there is no native way to do so, you can do it via third-party apps like Numeric Keyboard.
All screenshots by Mehvish Mushtaq.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox