The most widely used network protocol analyzer in the world, Wireshark, has released version 4.0.8. It is employed for network analysis, troubleshooting, software and communications protocol development, and education.
This new version includes bug fixes, improved protocol support, and a few other improvements.
Wireshark 4.0.8 – Vulnerabilities Addressed
We have listed the fixed security issues below:-
- TShark cannot capture to pipe on Windows correctly. Issue 17900.
- Wireshark wrongly blames group membership when Pcap capabilities are removed. Issue 18279.
- Packet bytes window broken layout. Issue 18326.
- RTP Player only shows waveform until sequence rollover. Issue 18829.
- Valid Ethernet CFM DMM packets are shown as malformed. Issue 19198.
- Crash on DICOM Export Objects window close. Issue 19207.
- The QUIC dissector is reporting the quic_transport_parameters max_ack_delay with the title \”GREASE\” Issue 19209.
- Preferences: Folder name editing behaves weirdly, cursor jumps. Issue 19213.
- DHCPFO: The expert info list does not show all expert infos. Issue 19216.
- Websocket packets are not decoded and displayed for Field type=Custom and Field name websocket.payload.text. Issue 19220.
- Cannot read pcapng file captured on OpenBSD and read on FreeBSD. Issue 19230.
- UI: While capturing the Wireshark icon changes from green to blue when a new file is created. Issue 19252.
- Conversation: heap-use-after-free after wmem_leave_file_scope. Issue 19265.
- IP Packets with DSCP 44 do not indicate “Voice-Admit” Issue 19270.
- NAS 5GS Malformed Packet Decoding SOR transparent container PLMN ID and access technology list. Issue 19273.
- UI: Auto scroll button in the toolbar is turned on when manually scrolling to the end of the packet list. Issue 19274.
Updated Protocol Support
BT SDP, CBOR, CFM, CP2179, CQL, DHCPFO, DICOM, F1AP, GSM DTAP, IEEE 802.11, IPv4, NAS-5GS, PFCP, PKT CCC, QUIC, RTP, TFTP, WebSocket, and XnAP.
“We do not ship official 32-bit Windows packages for Wireshark 4.0 and later. If you need to use Wireshark on that platform, we recommend using the latest 3.6 release. Issue 17779”, according to Wireshark release notes.”
If you’re using Wireshark on macOS and have updated to macOS 13 from an older version, you may need to open and execute the “Uninstall ChmodBPF” package, followed by the “Install ChmodBPF” package to reset the ChmodBPF Launch Daemon. Issue 18734.
Wireshark source code and installation packages are available from here.
Keep informed about the latest Cyber Security News by following us on Google News, Linkedin, Twitter, and Facebook.